Thursday, December 27, 2007

Reel Triumph


In a recent issue of Esquire, comedienne Joan Rivers declared, "Don't expect praise without envy – unless you're dead." This makes me recall my recent bonefishing press trip to Grand Bahama Island, where I reeled in what could be considered a massive fish – at least by (bonefishing) industry standards. This was a triumph, not only because the fish was massive – did I mention the fish was massive because it was massive? – but because I led an all-male group of journalists to a charming, private fishing lodge nestled on a small cay just off Grand Bahama Island. This was a trip like no other, mainly because there were no locks on the doors, no phones in-room and the only way to locate my cabin at night was with a flashlight. Oh, and most of the lodge's guests said they worked in "wealth management." I think that's a low-key way of saying hedge funds.


Most of the journalists averaged between 5-8 bonefish on the first day, which is a great catch considering we were stalking the elusive bonefish. I caught about 11. This was not only one of my best memories of 2007, but one of my best press groups ever. With their egos intact, the guys cheered me on and treated me like a sister (respectfully).

Judith



No comments: