Friday, May 23, 2008

The Glamour of Live Television


Each year, a small group of Weber Shandwick Bahamas team members devote several months of planning to the annual Bahamas Weather Conference, where top hurricane experts, researchers and meteorologists gather to discuss hurricanes and forecasting.

This year, I inherited the role of managing the meteorologists' live broadcasts from the Bahamas. From February to April, I focused on my Excel spreadsheets, organizing broadcast times for about 70 meteorologists from around North America. I had big shoes to fill -- my colleagues before me, referred to as the "satellite queens," secured hundreds of live shots, never missing a live window. As we got closer and closer to the conference, I started to feel my nervous energy increasing.

The first day of the conference, I woke up at 5 a.m. and reported to the beach in the dark. The sun rose about an hour later, with soft pink light illuminating the giant sandcastle on the edge of the beach. With the help of my fantastic colleagues, I managed to simultaneously keep the constant live and taped shots organized throughout the day, hitting 10-minute satellite windows from Colorado Springs, CO to Miami, FL. It was nerve-racking and thrilling at the exact same time.

By the time the sun set the next night, I had over 80 live shots under my belt, which resulted in more than 147 broadcast hits. I'd successfully completed my first live television experience!

No comments: