Wednesday, January 16, 2008

One Last Look Back

If it seems curious that my recollection for 2007 actually took place in 2006 it’s because my jet-setting trip to Canada feels like only yesterday and will always be one of my favorite stories…Back in September 2006, with only three months of Travel PR under my belt (I had been a Consumer Practice gal for many years), I was given the opportunity to plan and execute a press trip of a lifetime. After a month and half of work days packed with correspondence and itinerary planning with different Canadian tourism partners, creating an invite, inviting and following up with media, negotiating contracts with jet vendors, I had secured 10 amazing journalists to accompany me on a private jet trip across Canada. We departed September 14, 2006…129 hours and 46 minutes later (just shy of six full days for those right-brain readers), we had flown coast to coast and stopped off in five provinces.

The trip started off a breeze. We ate fresh lobster and sampled whisky straight from the distillery tanks in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia (who knew whisky was really clear, it’s the barrels that turn it brown?). We then traveled to Toronto to experience a five star hotel and sneak peak passes to Toronto’s film fest.

As with all press trips, there were a few ups and downs – our “up” allowed us to be upgraded to a G-4 plane. As we entered our new jet halfway through the trip I was greeted by a flight attendant who had made chocolate chip cookies in the jet’s own oven and found a seat made of soft leather and “gold” plated seatbelts. This was travel heaven.

The trip only got better. Sure there were a few more road bumps (Yukon fog!) but along with my 10 journalists, I was able to experience a dinner fit for a king in Banff; saw the Northern Lights and was the 23,699 person to join the SourToe Cocktail Club in Dawson City, YT (www.sourtoecocktailclub.com); and met a top chef in Vancouver who served us a savory tasting menu. And to top it all off, the client received some of their best print placements from a press trip.

Lisa

No comments: